This department is headed by world renowned pediatric gastro Indologist hepatologist Prof. Huma Arshad Cheema MRCP UK, DPGN (London University) Dr Huma qualified her MBBS (Pb) 1984 with first position & Dr Rahim Khan Gold Medal from Punjab University Lahore. She did her MRCP UK Pediatrics 1992 Royal College of Physicians, London, UK & passed DPGN – Diplomat Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition with distinction and Gold medal from University of London UK.
Prof Huma has won great laurels and numerous
Honors , Awards & Distinctions
- Prof Cheema is the only Prof of Pediatric Gastroenterology in Pakistan and she pioneered the Discipline of Pediatric Gastroenterology -Hepatology in Pakistan when she returned from London UK in 1998. With a brilliant academic record, a best graduate of Fatima Jinnah Med Univ., she has topped examinations of Punjab Univ. 1984 and London Univ. 1995 and had 8 gold medals
- She Received lifetime Achievement Award in 2019 from the International Society of Genetic and rare diseases for life long dedication to research, global patient care and clinical counseling in the field of Lysosomal Storage Disorders.
- She has established First Fellowship Program for Pediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology in Pakistan and she is National Director Fellowship program in Pediatric Gastroenterology-Hepatology and Nutrition: College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan (CPSP)
- She has established first Genetic diseases of Children center in Pakistan at Children’s Hospital Lahore and tested 2500 patients and their parents free of charge in collaboration with a German Organization. She has also established first Lysosomal Storage Disease LSD diagnostic and treatment center at Children’s Hospital Lahore
- She is Focal person Punjab Pediatric Liver and Bone Marrow Transplant program and she has pioneered the First Bone marrow Transplant center at Children’s Hosp. Lahore.
- She was invited by Yale University Connecticut, USA as visiting Professor to speak to the faculty on “Rare Pediatric Liver Diseases in Pakistan– Challenges and Opportunities ” in Sept 2016
- She has ongoing research collaborations with Prof Arndt Rolfs Germany, Yale University USA, University Children’s Hospital Munich Germany, and Boston Children’s Hospital. USA
- She is also the Chairperson Pakistan Pediatric Association Gastroenterology-Hepatology and Nutrition group
Experience (36 Years as Pediatric Gastroenterologist / Hepatologist/ Nutritionist)
- Professor / Consultant Pediatric Gastroenterology-Hepatology Children Hospital & Institute of Child Health Lahore
- Trained at Guy’s Hospital, King College Hospital, Hospital for Sick Children GOS & St Bartholomew’s Hospital London UK (1991-1995)